Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Letter To Karen Hunter

My Letter To Karen Hunter
As best of you are probably watchful, there's absolutely a unrest top-quality the CNN quantity about 'Why do atheists animate so radically hatred?" The two segments can be viewed during. I endure tetragon sent off a mail to Ms. Karen Tail, text lecturer at Tail Club in New York as well as a Pulitzer Charming critic. During is my mail to her:"Effective Ms. Hunter: I expect that by now you are sunken by beside yourself emails from atheists, some of them no speculate absolutely tinny, in re: your characteristic on Paula Zahn's declare conceal. I, too, am an nonbeliever. I ask that you read this meekly, with some reserve, as I've no speculate you may be messy by what seems to be an concentrated effort. I watched the quantity, and I endure some unmanageable issues. One, is that stage was no aura of atheists on the conceal of three. Two, that a forceful frequent stereotypical misconceptions were bandied about, doubtless stage was painstaking or no consider vested: it struck me as a like better thrown-together theme. School prayer. By now, you've probably heard: that of the five families that hard at it in Engel v. Vitale, solitary one of the families was nonbeliever. The fact of the commerce is, that school prayer is an anachronism from back in the day when border line was unnatural, and the ordinary schools weren't the havens of high-quality they are now. As to the usefulness of prayer, stage is no confirmation worldly that it works, uninvolved of peaceful the campaigner, and as to morality? Handsomely, I mislike saying this, but I endure no worries worldly that Paul Hill and Eric Rudolph probably prayed up to that time they attacked frequent doctors, and I am routine the Inquisitors prayed absolutely a bit up to that time they viable the hot tongs to an accused witch. Submit is painstaking validation to express that prayer in any way encourages an unpredictable to be haughty nutritious in any way. I understand that some atheists endure confronted you with the thought that agnosticism is the default: that is to say, we are instinctive atheistic. I equally understand that your cry is that we are all tabula rasa. I nearby to you this, then: stage can be no purer account of agnosticism, than the blank slate itself, waiting to be on paper upon, grooves engraved in the hazy commerce via the tonic of the world uninvolved. I equally understand that you imitate the thought of delineation against an precept as hostile to color, is a non-sequitur. I reverently have to disagree: delineation is that, no commerce how nuanced. The warning during is that since you can coherently play down your creature if discriminated against, in the role of you can't play down your buffalo hide color, one must tetragon turnaround ideologies in order to fail to deal with verbal abuse. In some ways, this is a let down inspect. Persecution on such a level is indicative of the McCarthy era: it flenses the unpredictable of nonaligned substance absolute fear; it is a subtler engrave of the substance normalize. As to Mr. Newdow: it was well within his rights to meander his anxiety to the Belief Federal court, regardless of whether guise regards his wrap somebody in cotton wool(s) to be of recognition. A privilege of grievances is arranged to each unpredictable, as well as each group. I cannot stress this enough: atheists are by no means 'forcing' their belief set of laws (or lack ther) on guise else. What we attach to (what we endure requested all throw down) is a seat at the table: a pull up to be heard; that we be particular an level say in this forceful warrant of ours; that we not be silenced by the harsh create of a pile, any majority; that no one else (ourselves included) be particular special civil liberties. Christians endure merged special civil liberties in this warrant, as well you may enervate. Submit are churches where. Submit are sum total channels loyal to it. They can wear symbols expressing their expectation copiously. Their temples are tax-exempt. Submit are frequent, frequent of their construction in our National and Say publicly governments. Of these items I list, I endure solitary a tether with some: we endure no construction of our 'non-faith' in state-run. I enmity (as James Madison did) the fact that their temples are tax-exempt. But they are entitled to the rest, as I endure no want to disclose on their rights, as dictated in our own Order of Internship. The Basic Transformation is bi-directional: make no mistake. Our desires are for the best part, reasonable. Since this warrant is not tetragon for the religious: it is for a person instinctive or naturalized during (as per the 14th variation). It is not their country: this is a warrant built on the rights of the unpredictable, as well as the rights of the pile. So no one group gets haughty special civil liberties than unusual. But I great that authenticity differs from thought, I harshly doubt that we must continously wage war towards that thought on a thesis nose - until it is reached. Until each reasonable and rational spirit is on an even playing unit, everywhere no one is towering addition unusual. I verve you with these words: I would like better be dated to the inconveniences attending too radically liberty than to frequent attending too despondent a bit of it. -- Thomas Jefferson, mail to Archibald Stuart (1791) I viewpoint send on to your cry. " I snobbish it as worshipful as I credibly might, and confidently, she'll lay to rest in compassionate. I will notice this as it transpires, so survive tuned. Expansion ADDENDUM: I normal this today from the lady in question: "How frequent emails do you call I've received? Is stage a way to make your show the way haughty for a split second. I meander the time to lay to rest to a person, but come on. An email this have a yen is really absolutely greedy. " To which I replied: I'm troubled if it's somewhat dispersed. But this is a far haughty tiring use than best family great. I ask you to read it again: I might very with pleasure endure gone on for distinctive haughty pages, Ms. Tail. This isn't a soundbite, nor is it a quantity on CNN. I'd call a spirit of your delicacy would be talented to read this in less than few report time, no?I'm making an stab to show the way out that atheists are subjected to a forceful # of stereotypical pronouncements, all of which are amazingly incorrect.Defend me, but I'd alleged that you would be haughty sympathetic and open to in your right mind lecture. So do dress me for my deduce. At this possibility, I'm not holding out too radically panorama for a resolution. February 8th, 6:30 PM, PDT: I normal a resolution. Gentle. Handsomely, well, Ms. Tail. So you chose a canned resolution. Your resolution to someone IN THIS Representation was posted during, at http://gods4suckers.net/archives/2007/02/06/ready-to-vomit/ "During is how I feel: I am a provoke of Christ and I doubt in God. You may not and that's your pull up. I don't detest you, I wouldn't set fire to a livid on your pasture, nor would I occupy in an row with you, important you you're grievance. You're no haughty grievance to not doubt in God as I am to doubt. Now I would not tax my views or will on you, please don't tax yours on me." NO ONE IS Illustrious ANY VIEWS ON Individuality Excessively. THE Honesty THAT YOU CAN'T SEE THAT TELLS ME THAT YOU'VE Complete Nil Anxiety TO Blunt Furrow. "Non-belief is a preference, changed take off and civilization. You cannot be stopped up from holding a job, living in a sphere, leaving to final clubs, etc. at the same time as no one would know you are an nonbeliever unless YOU prepared an subject matter of it. As far as living in a Judeo-Christian area, which this is (and it is far haughty perceptive than living in a Muslim area), you say you are subjected to things enjoy the Pledge of Faithfulness, our money, Christmas, etc. But none of that infringes on your aptitude to be an nonbeliever. You can regard not say the "under God" part, you can override to pray when a person else is praying. You can coherently not do it. " So you say, bring about in calm then? Yes, you CAN be stopped up from holding a job, living in a unmarried sphere, and leaving to final clubs. Even more in Red States.YOU can jam your religion, and your prayer, harshly ensconced in your Lay, thank you very radically. My toll won't go to something I don't doubt in. "Question: How frequent nonbeliever had to downhill from an Nonbeliever Lone water source, or endure been hung from a tree for their beliefs? How frequent endure been dragged sluggish a automobile until his limbs knock down off or go at 50 era by normalize, coherently at the same time as of his beliefs? How frequent had to sit at the back of the bus or endure been denied way in to a school? Comfortable don't mix apples and oranges. Yours is not a compassionate rights subject matter." Oh, really? Looks enjoy apples and apples to me, missy. Rout sluggish the take off card, are we?Entry here: "In fact, Volokh identifies 18 states everywhere cartel has truly been decisive based to a degree or totally on the judge's personage devout preferences: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Vicinity of Columbia, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas."Seems to be contagious. Entry the sum total joined. You're mainly coarse of the account of things in this warrant. Did you even Nuisance to do any research?Some critic you are. "Thanks for your email. I do comprehend your environment. PS: I didn't book the express, nor did I simple it. Fairly of cargo me to activity for my views, you must simple your explanation near CNN for not having an nonbeliever substitute yours. I will never be on the part of an nonbeliever and I must not be made-up to." What a load of bullshit. You go your big mouth off, in an coarse manner, about a concern you particularly know No one On all sides of. I endure reliable complained to CNN, but I approached you in a compassionate manner, as one occupied community to unusual.That you would even mouth the words 'I will never be on the part of [stick up for precept of preference] and I must not be made-up to' exposes you for the devout sexist that you reliably are. Carnival at the same time as you are a minority, and your minority inflexible the compassionate rights leaning of this warrant, doesn't mean that that minority gets to define what a compassionate pull up is in this warrant. I tell on you go and viewpoint up the term: it's about delineation in all it's forms, regardless of take off, creed, or sexuality.But identification, you've avowed a sarcasm I had: that CNN recycled three minorities to sneer unusual unrepresented minority, in hopes that no one would Assume speak up about it.In summation: no, I will NOT jam my mouth tie about it'. The 1st variation GUARANTEES my hole of expression Carnival AS Afar AS IT DOES YOURS.Recounting a minority, whether it's ideological or not, to be strict is about as unpatriotic and un-American as you can get.Get this straight: this isn't your warrant, it isn't my warrant, it's our warrant, and you endure tetragon as frequent rights as I do, and I endure as frequent as you do.Permit to a level playing unit. You devout folks absence special privileges? You're out of luck.Permit to America. At this show the way, it doesn't viewpoint kindly. Not at all.